I’m like most people out there; I get bored with my home decorating look. But also like most people these days, I can’t afford to redecorate my house every time I want to keep up with the trends, or simply give my home a more updated, modern feel. Here are some great tips on how you can update your home décor, without breaking the bank!
* Get in the know. Im not advocating filling your home with trendy designs that will be “out” in 6 months, but in order to know how to give your home some modern appeal, you need to know what that is! Spend an afternoon looking through magazines, perusing design shops and checking out a few decorating shows on the tube. Make a note of the trends that appeal to you, and also those that you hate. Me? Love modern lighting. Hate animal prints.
* Light it up! Speaking of lighting, this is a great way to bring a room into a new design age. Modern lighting is embracing a more contemporary design, including great drum and barrel shades. Fortunately, these shades can be used on any lamp in most decors, and can instantly update a room. So switch out your lamp shades; a fast way to create new style. BHG has a tutorial on creating a modern drum shade out of an old dining room chandelier!
* Color your world. Spend some time at the paint chip counter at your local home improvement store to find out what hues are “in”. Warm grays, mocha browns, lime greens, aqua blues, clear oranges, and even smoky purples are huge. Paint one small accent wall or the inside of a set of shelves a trendy color. Remember, it’s just paint. You can change it again!
* The fabric of our lives is?… So, you’ve noticed your rooms just don’t have the oomph you see in the catalogues. Try updating your fabric accessories using modern, simple prints and fresh colors. Many modern print are a simple classic design, but with a stylized vision mixing white and one color. Black and white, lime and white and brown and white are very today color combinations. Sew up some new pillow covers, recover dining room chair seats, add a panel of the patterned fabric to the bottom third of your drapes, or use it to cover mats in your wall art.
* Edit, edit, edit. We all love our things. The trick to a modern look is to keep the room totally uncluttered. Place all your accessories and art in boxes. Now “shop” from the boxes to re-accessorize the room. Don’t feel like you need to use everything in the boxes. You can switch out with the other items the next time you get bored with your look! Try to go for larger scale artwork, and tie mismatched frames together by painting them a cool color like black or charcoal gray. New arrangements with furniture and accessories can be just what your room needs to go from mousy to modern hot!Image Credits: crate and barrel, My Home Ideas, BHG