Autumn itself provides a bounty of inexpensive fall decorating ideas. No need to decorate for fall with tacky, plastic, fake items when the real thing is charming, more tasteful, and easily creates a beautiful fall feeling in your home. Here are 13 easy & cheap fall decor ideas for you to get your natural fall style on!
Easy & Cheap Fall Decor Ideas
Decorating with Mini Pumpkins
1. Use a pumpkin as a vase for fresh flowers. Clean out the guts and seeds and use the pumpkin to arrange your flowers. Taller ones work well, but so will squatty pumpkins if you cut your flower stems short. Or try this non traditional look from ‘Green Wedding Shoes‘. They have an easy DIY on how to make mini pumpkins into a table centerpiece. How elegant and easy is this cheap fall decor idea?
Make a Fall Craft
2. Make topiary out of a foam form (conical shapes always work well) and hot glue a variety of large seeds acorns, walnuts, pinecones to the form. Completely cover the foam. Easy and makes a wonderful piece for any table or countertop. Or, make this dollar store fall leaf tree from ‘Kim Six Fix‘! Full tutorial…
Preserve Fall Leaves
3. Pick brightly colored fallen leaves. Rub a good moisturizer onto the front and back of the leaves and let dry. This helps the leaves keep their color and avoid curling. Once dry, scatter the leaves on a table, around a centerpiece, or on a fireplace mantle. Learn how to preserve fall leaves with a little Mod Podge from Shannon at ‘Madigan Made‘.
Cheap Fall Decor from The Supermarket
4. Fill a tall vase or extra-large brandy snifter with a variety of colorful miniature pumpkins and gourds. This quick & inexpensive fall decorating idea is from ‘One Kings Lane‘.
Decorate for Fall with Vignettes
5. Make a vignette using pumpkins, gourds, and leaves. Vary the sizes and colors of these squashes and fill in the gaps with leaves, mini pumpkins, and gourds. We love how Beth from ‘Home Stories A to Z’ created this fall decorating idea on her fireplace mantel. Make sure you click through to see her AMAZING fall home tour!
Use Pumpkins for Fall Decorating
6. Arrange large pumpkins in a group (odd numbers work best) or on stairs. Carve, gild or paint designs or messages on the pumpkins. Check out these front porch fall decorating do’s and don’ts from ‘HGTV‘. Love the white pumpkins!
Make Fall Pumpkin Candles
7. Carve a small hole one inch deep in miniature pumpkins for use as taper candle holders. Or go all out and make these DIY lace patterned pumpkin lanterns from ‘Martha‘.
Create Cheap Fall Decor in the Kitchen
8. If you have a tiered cake or serving plate, arrange pumpkins, gourds, or squash on each tier. Use a pie pumpkin or turban squash (looks like two placed one on top of the other) on the top level. Use smaller ones, even miniatures, as well as leaves and nuts on the other tiers. Or try these fall decorating ideas from Sarah at ‘Little Vintage Nest‘. I would love something this charming in my fall kitchen!
Make a DIY Fall Centerpiece
9. Cut a branch from a tree. Place lengthwise on a table. Nest miniature gourds, pumpkins, leaves, nuts, and votive candles among the smaller branches. (Whenever you bring branches in from outdoors, spray off with water and allow to dry in the garage or another dry space.) Or make this 5 minute fall centerpiece from ‘Jenna Burger‘.
Cheap Fall Decor – DIY Fall Leaf Projects
10. Soften a three-wick candle by blowing a hairdryer on it until the wax is soft. Then press small colored leaves into the softened wax to add a fall touch. Or simply tie the leaves onto the candles with raffia. Or try this DIY burlap and fall leaf candle from Stephanie at ‘Garden Therapy‘.
Create Farmhouse Fall Decor
11. Take tall corn stalks and attach to porch columns or mailbox or even trees with a large fall colored ribbon. Further accent with pumpkins or mums around the base. Just like Pam at ‘House of Hawthornes‘ did here!
Use Nature to Decorate for Fall
12. Cut long branches with colored leaves still attached (see instructions above to prevent bringing bugs into your home). Place in a tall vase or an umbrella stand. Be sure the branches are proportionate to the vase or stand.
Use Mums for Fall Style
13. Use potted mums to replace your summer flowers in flower beds, on porches, near fireplace hearths, in corner of rooms this classic never goes out of style. To give added height within a group, place one potted mum on a miniature straw bale. We love how April at ‘House by Hoff’ added just a touch of inexpensive fall decorating style to this vignette with cheery yellow Mums and vases of dried branches and grasses. And if you are in awe over her DIY song lyric sign, lucky for you, she has a tutorial!
Using the natural beauty of fall nature, you can easily and inexpensively decorate your home for the changing season. Want more fall decorating ideas? Check out our posts on Fall Front Porch Decorating Ideas or Fall Decorating: 10 Ways to Make Your Home Fall Cozy! Article by Julie Lohmeier. And don’t forget to join our Home & Garden DIY Facebook group and our Pinterest page so you see right away when we post new ideas on cheap fall decor and other fun home decor projects!Image Credits: HGTV, Green Wedding Shoes, The Kim Six Fix, Madigan Made, One King Lane, Home Stories A to Z, HGTV, Martha, Little Vintage Nest, Jenna Burger, Garden Therapy, House of Hawthornes, BHG, House by Hoff