You probably already know that your bedroom should be your safe haven… your oasis… your special place. It makes sense… I mean, after all, it is the place you end your day with and begin your day with. Shouldn’t your bedroom decorating make you smile and feel comforted?
Well, if you choose to not be in your bedroom until it’s dark outside, here are some bedroom design ideas that will create a calming, relaxing space.
1. Paint your bedroom in your favorite color. Waking up to a color you love is the perfect way to start your day. Don’t get so wrapped up in what a bedroom should be or shouldn’t be. If you love orange, then paint your bedroom orange.
Or paint your bedroom in the complement of your favorite color and then add accents in your favorite color. The complement is the color on the opposite side of the color wheel.
Red’s complement is Green.
Blue’s complement is Orange.
Yellow’s complement is Purple.
So, if you love purple, maybe paint your walls lavender and add yellow pillows and a vase of yellow tulips.
Just use colors you truly enjoy for a personal bedroom design.
2. Use one fabric, but use it everywhere Many people find it difficult to coordinate different fabric patterns successfully. In fact, many bedroom design ideas become too busy with mixes of plaids and florals. So choose a fabric that matches your paint color and use it in your drapes… in your bedding… and even in an upholstered chair.
If you’re really worried that this is too much of one fabric, then choose a solid fabric to go along with your main fabric.
3. Add candles and mood lighting. Lighting can enhance a bedroom design far more than you may realize. Yes, you need lamps for task lighting, but to really create a bedroom that is glowing, soft and relaxing you need some mood lighting. This can be created with candles, floor cans that project light upward from the floor, wall sconces and even picture lights.
4. Add soft textures. Keep in mind that the goal of your bedroom design idea is to calm and soothe. So, choose fabrics that are soft and cozy. Select silks, cottons and suedes. Even terry cloth can add an unexpected luxury. Use lots of pillows for comfort, and visual interest.
5. Don’t forget privacy. In the evenings, you shouldn’t have to worry about privacy. Make sure your bedroom design ideas include window treatments that cover your windows at night. This will also close the room in and add to the coziness of the room.
Planning the perfect bedroom design idea doesn’t have to be difficult.
Keep it personal, choose the colors and fabrics you like… select artwork that makes you smile and enjoy the decorating process.
Article by Jennifer Thoden. Visit http://www.homedecoratingideas4u.com for more free bedroom decorating ideas.Image Credits: Lee Ann Thornton, Bedroomist, House Beautiful, Shabby Stream Side Studio, Sommerwhite