Autumn itself provides a bounty of fall decorating ideas. No need to decorate for fall with cheap, plastic, fake items when the real thing is inexpensive, more tasteful, and easily creates a beautiful fall ambiance in your home. Here are 13 ideas for you to get your natural fall style on!
1. Use a pumpkin as a vase for fresh flowers. Clean out the guts and seeds and use the pumpkin to arrange your flowers. Taller ones work well, but so will squatty pumpkins if you cut your flower stems short. Or try this non traditional look from ‘Green Wedding Shoes‘. They have an easy DIY on how to make mini pumpkins into a table centerpiece. How elegant is this fall decorating idea?
2. Make topiary out of a foam form (conical shapes always work well) and hot glue a variety of large seeds acorns, walnuts, pinecones to the form. Completely cover the foam. Easy and makes a wonderful piece for any table or countertop.
3. Pick brightly colored fallen leaves. Rub a good moisturizer onto the front and back of the leaves and let dry. This helps the leaves keep their color and avoid curling. Once dry, scatter the leaves on a table, around a centerpiece, or on a fireplace mantle. Learn how to preserve fall leaves with a little Mod Podge from Shannon at ‘Madigan Made’.
4. Fill a tall vase or extra-large brandy snifter with a variety of colorful miniature pumpkins and gourds. This quick fall decorating idea is from ‘One Kings Lane‘.
5. Make a vignette using pumpkins, gourds, and leaves. Vary the sizes and colors of these squashes and fill in the gaps with leaves, mini pumpkins, and gourds. We love how Beth from ‘Home Stories A to Z’ created this one on her fireplace mantel. Make sure you click through to see her AMAZING fall home tour!
6. Arrange large pumpkins in a group (odd numbers work best) or on stairs. Carve or paint designs or messages on the pumpkins. Check out these fall porch do’s and don’ts from ‘HGTV‘. Love the white pumpkins!
7. Carve a small hole one inch deep in miniature pumpkins for use as taper candle holders. Or go all out and make these DIY lace patterned pumpkin lanterns from ‘Martha‘.
8. If you have a tiered cake or serving plate, arrange pumpkins, gourds, or squash on each tier. Use a pie pumpkin or turban squash (looks like two placed one on top of the other) on the top level. Use smaller ones, even miniatures, as well as leaves and nuts on the other tiers.
9. Cut a branch for a tree. Place lengthwise on a table. Nest miniature gourds, pumpkins, leaves, nuts, and votive candles among the smaller branches. (Whenever you bring branches in from outdoors, spray off with water and allow to dry in the garage or another dry space.)
10. Soften a three-wick candle by blowing a hairdryer on it until the wax is soft. Then press small colored leaves into the softened wax to add a fall touch. Or simply tie the leaves onto the candles with raffia.
11. Take tall corn stalks and attach to porch columns or mailbox or even trees with a large fall colored ribbon. Further accent with pumpkins or mums around the base.
12. Cut long branches with colored leaves still attached (see instructions above to prevent bringing bugs into your home). Place in a tall vase or an umbrella stand. Be sure the branches are proportionate to the vase or stand.
13. Use potted mums to replace your summer flowers in flower beds, on porches, near fireplace hearths, in corner of rooms this classic never goes out of style. To give added height within a group, place one potted mum on a miniature straw bale. We love how April at ‘House by Hoff’ added just a touch of fall decorating style to this vignette with cheery yellow Mums and vases of dried branches and grasses. And if you are in awe over her DIY song lyric sign, lucky for you, she has a tutorial!
Using the natural beauty of fall nature, you can easily and inexpensively decorate your home for the changing season. Want more? Check out our post on fall porch decorating ideas!
Article by Julie Lohmeier. She shares her remodeling tips, home decorating ideas, and other various rants at http://www.myhomeredux.com.Image Credits: One King Lane, Green Wedding Shoes, Madigan Made, Home Stories A to Z, HGTV, Martha, Home Seasons, BHG, House by Hoff