If there is one time of year I like to take the time to create a high style table, it’s Thanksgiving! After all, for those few hours, it’s all about the table, isn’t it? It’s kinda like what the dress is to the wedding, the table is to Thanksgiving… So even when my budget is tight, I want a Thanksgiving table to make my food look amazing, and my home feel welcoming. So first, we have a couple things to think about, before you plan your table… Then we have a bunch of gorgeous Thanksgiving table decorating ideas from talented bloggers who take the time to not only create these tablescapes, (on a budget!) but share them!
Keep in mind:
- Set up a sideboard. Otherwise you will be thinking “where will the mashed potatoes go?” all through the creative process… Have a side table to hold the food. You can even create one from a card table covered with pretty cloths.
- Plan to set the table the day before Thanksgiving. You can turn bowls and glasses upside down to keep any dust out ’till you need them. This makes decorating the Thanksgiving table fun… NOT an exercise in exhaustion after you have cooked for an army.
- Choose a scheme before hand. You don’t have to do orange pumpkins and brown napkins. (As evidenced by these creative, high style tables!) But you also don’t have to feel like you have to step out of the traditional in order to have a high style table.
- Remember, at the holidays, more is more. The key to creating a luxurious look on a budget is to choose an affordable element, and use lots of it. Then add supporting characters.
- Use metallic to add extra sparkle to a table that’s missing “something”.
- Think in layers.
- Add a personal touch. A handmade place card. Specialty folded napkins. A small card for each guest to write their “Thankful Things’…
- Lastly, don’t forget, while I love great style in anything, that in the end, it’s all about the people. :)
Thanksgiving Table Decorating Ideas
Destiny from ‘A Place for Us‘ created this golden holiday table with a little help from West Elm! Ok, you have…yes, HAVE to click through and look at all her photos. This table is so high style, but so many things here that are DIY’able! Pretty, and still has traditional elements, but uses almost every suggestion I made above! LOVE!
Before we get any farther in inspiration, are you confused as to how to set a Thanksgiving table? No problem, Emily Post has us covered. Check out this info graphic for all the info, whether you want a formal, or informal table setting.
Here’s a simple craft from ‘I Spy DIY‘ using burlap and fabric paint… Remember what I said about layers? Easy tutorial, fast project.
We LOVE KariAnne at ‘Thistlewood Farms‘… Her advice on creating fall style carries through to this amazing table. She layered with gift wrap (are you listening, budget decorators?), a table runner and reclaimed wood. Then she created wood leaf placements, and pulled together an amazing pumpkin bling centerpiece! Our fav Thanksgiving table decorating ideas yet!
Fall weddings are a great inspiration for Thanksgiving table decorations… from ‘The Knot‘, this would be easy – just repetition of vases filled with baby pumpkins, alternating with simple candles…
If you love a nature theme, here are some great ideas for using branches, pinecones and moss and bark garland, which you can find in the floral section of any craft shop now… The lights are optional, but if were to fill a vase with battery operated ones (Christmas section of craft stores) it would add that high style sparkle!
These personalized Thanksgiving table setting ideas from ‘Tom Kat Studio” are so amazing, and Kim tells you all about how she had them made… Could you make inexpensive chargers like this with chalkboard paint?
Ok, so after I asked the question about making chargers with chalkboard paint… Voila! Nicole at ‘Mendez Manor‘ did just that, and has a tutorial for you so you can do it too! Menu, place cards, or write a quick note to each guest why you are thankful for them!
I said something above about using metallics, didn’t I? Well ‘BHG‘ used some gold paint and some burlap for their Thanksgiving table decorating… and that makes this whole look!
From ‘Pinterest’, this natural table in greens and greys is made special by the log candleholders and plate chargers.
From Kelly McCants on ‘Country Living’, this idea for chalkboard table runner is pure genius for those that do buffet style! They have chalkboard contact paper available now at any well stocked craft store…
So make your Thanksgiving table shine this year! We love all these ideas, which ones are your favorites?
Want more Thanksgiving? Try how to warm up your Thanksgiving decor!Image Credits: BHG, A Place for Us, Emily Post, I Spy DIY, Thistlewood Farms, The Knot, Trendy Tree, Tom Kat Studio, Mendez Manor, Pinterest, Country Living