Wall decor seems to be a huge mystery to most home decorators, but it doesn’t need to be. You don’t have to spend your child’s college fund in an elite gallery to love your walls! Anything you love, or that shows off your creative side is the perfect kind of art for your family. DIY wall decor can be used to add the jewelry to any room, no matter how tight your budget may be! Having empty walls really leaves a lot of personality on the floor, if you know what we mean… A home doesn’t really feel like a home until you add your own stamp to it. Here are some quick and easy DIY wall decor ideas, on a budget!
DIY Wall Decor Ideas That Are Cheap & Easy!
Wall Decor Ideas & Guidelines
- The most common mistake most people make in decorating their walls is to sprinkle things around just to fill empty space. Instead, draw an imaginary rectangle on the main focal wall in the room you wish to dress up. Now fill that rectangle with a grouping of related art, such as portraits, plates, or clocks. This makes much a better impact on the room than the “sprinkle” effect.
- Try to hang larger scale items to make your rooms feel bigger. This doesn’t mean you have to run out and spend hundreds or thousands on a large painting. Hang a rug or a pretty quilt. Create a dramatic wall hanging with a large piece of plywood, some paint, and just one inspirational word in large letters.
- Try setting off a special portrait gallery or a wall collection by painting a background “frame”. Make the frame at least 6-12 inches larger than the art, tape off with painters tape, and fill in with a darker version of your wall color.
- If you have dozens of different frames and pictures, tie them all together by painting the frames all the same color. Black gives an elegant touch to any style décor. White is very fresh, and a bright color can be fun in a contemporary design.
- Look at unconventional items as wall art. A weathered piece of driftwood you found on a family vacation hangs over a doorway. Your children’s christening dress can be hung as memory art, or you can frame a piece of the fabric from a maternity dress you loved while you were pregnant with your youngest. Use your imagination!
DIY Wall Decor Tutorials
Learn how to have these large wall art pieces printed, (for just a few bucks) how to mount them and even how to make the frames from ‘My Design Rules‘!
Some embroidery hoops and some yarn, along with the tutorial from ‘A Beautiful Mess‘, and you have this awesome DIY wall decor for just a few dollars. You can make this with whatever colors work for the room you are trying to decorate. This has cool Boho vibes, very on trend!
And since we love everything they do, here is another gorgeous DIY wall decor hanging made with tassels from yarn from ‘A Beautiful Mess‘.
Create a gallery wall with inexpensive Washi tape, which can be found at any craft store. Go see how they did it over at ‘Honestly WTF‘!
Make this DIY wall decor with moss, sticks and bark! This kind of nature art is timeless, and will go in any room. Plus, this type of moss you don’t have to water! Learn how over at ‘BHG‘.
Hang a basket gallery wall like ‘Kelly Elko‘ did. You can collect baskets from travels, or simply hunt for them at thrift stores and yard sales. (Also, Etsy! SHHHH!!!!)
Use your hats or a bag collection to create a unique wall decor idea for a bedroom. Jump on over to ‘Jaclyn DeLeon‘ and find out how she used her pretty and stylish hats to create wall art!
Learn how to make a letter board right on your wall! This is so pretty, yet minimal at the same time. Go check out all the instructions for this DIY wall decor over at ‘We Lived Happily Ever After‘.
Make these DIY pallet shelves in less than 10 minutes and with almost no money. ‘Six Clever Sisters‘ shows you how, and they even have a video for you. Shelves serve double duty as both wall decor, and storage. Love this rustic look!
If you want something a little more contemporary for your walls, and that looks expensive, try making this painting with these instructions from ‘BHG‘.
DIY wall decor ideas don’t have to be daunting, just use these easy ideas to get you started! We think you will also love our posts, No Money? 15 DIY Home Decor Ideas That Are Free, and How to Paint Wall Murals for Kids! And also jump on over to our posts on How to Install Peel and Stick Wallpaper and How To Make A Clock For Your Wall over at our sister site, OhMeOhMy!Image Credits: Pottery Barn, My Design Rules, A Beautiful Mess, Honestly WTF, BHG, Keep Elko, Jacyln DeLeon, We Lived Happily Ever After, Six Clever Sisters, BHG
Amazing framing ideas. Just love them all.
Love all of these ideas, especially painting the inspirational word. It’s easy and looks great!
Great ideas, I liked every single of them! So original!
I would love to know the color of that beautiful medium/dark blue paint from the Pottery Barn image!
Pottery Barn uses BM paint and often list it in each room within any picture of a room or you can find it both on there website or BM site. I hope you find it!
So many colours I can see!!